The dark side of Suicide?
I was reading an article this morning titled ‘The dark side of suicide” and it made me wonder.. Is there a bright side? Is there a side that we should elevate and call ‘light’, ‘bright’, ‘good’.In my opinion, I think not. I have long thought of suicide to be a selfish act which often-times cause so much anguish on the part of those left behind, it could be akin to the murder of the deceased. To me suicide is ‘dark’ because;
- The dead person seems to get off ‘easy’ compared to the life of pain and regret experienced by loved ones left behind.
- There is a ‘I should have seen the signs’ left on the minds of those loved ones left behind.
- Those left behind torment themselves to think that they weren't enough to make the deceased want to live.
- There is the financial burden of providing for a funeral, because even though the surviving family may be angry at the the deceased they are more inclined to throw their all in saying a ‘proper’ farewell.
- Suicide is a trigger which often illicit similar feelings in other persons. Suicidal thoughts are ‘catching’.